วันจันทร์ที่ 29 มีนาคม พ.ศ. 2553

How to Make Pasta e Fagioli

This soup makes you happy to be alive!

Pasta e Fagioli

Did you know that Pasta e Fagioli...is a Life-Changing food? Well, it is in our home, and it can be in yours too!. Ever since I have been young, this soup has always come to the rescue to make everything "better."

There is no need to go to a restaurant for this Italian favorite, you don't need a pasta maker, or any fancy pots and pans...all you do need is about 15 minutes of your time, and a few simple ingredients. And...from this, you will get what our family calls Italian Comfort Food.

The Story's in the soup! It's A Family Affair

When my children were little, and they wanted comfort food, Pasta e Fagioli fit the bill! When my husband Jake came home from the hospital, I asked him what he wanted to eat...you guessed it...that magic soup. He ate it every day for a week, and after that week, he was so much better. The doctor said he passed all the tests with no after affects from his sickness. Now, I'm not saying that this soup cured my husband, but I do know that this Italian comfort food helped him get through some pretty tough times.

When I was at my mother's house the other day, she said she forgot how to make pasta e fagioli , she is 90, and says that her memory is not as good as it used to be. I wrote the recipe out for her, and said "mommy, this is your recipe, and I am returning it to you". She smiled, and so did I.

So many people, after coming to our home for dinner, or lunch, have asked for this recipe also. How can such a simple soup, with such simple ingredients, makes such a heartwarming meal?

When we make our soup over the holidays, we usually serve it with an antipasto. When we are at my sister Lynda's for our family get togethers we always make an antipasto, because there is always time for soup and antipasto.

Italian "Comfort Food" - Comfort Food That You Can Serve To Your Best Friends

When Betty, one of my best friends, was told she had stage 4 cancer, she came over to visit and she asked if I would put Italian music on the CD player, and make her a dish of Pasta e Fagioli! That was comfort food for her also. Betty has since passed away, but I will always treasure the memory of the two of us sitting at the kitchen table, Italian music playing, eating our favorite food for the last time.

My Recipe of Pasta e Fagioli For You Eat This, It Will Make You Feel Better!

Now, I want to give you my recipe for this wonderful soup, so if you choose, you will make it for your family and see if it really is Life-Changing. There are many recipes, each person has their own and their favorite. This is ours!

Pasta e Fagioli
1 onion chopped
2-3 stalks of celery chopped
2-3 cloves of garlic chopped
Salt and Pepper to taste
8 oz can of tomato sause
Ditalini (You can use elbow macaronni if you can't find ditalini)

Saute onions, glarlic and celery in olive oil until soft. Then add 2 cans of Navy Beans or Cannellini Beans (White Kidney Beans) Your choice. I use both depending on which I have in the pantry.

After adding beans, add one small can of tomato sauce. When I am making this soup, i always fill up the empty cans from the beans and the sause two times in each can with water. This usually gives me enough water for the soup. But, if you want to make more, you can just add more water. My daughter Debra uses canned chicken broth instead of water, but I never do. This is the way Aunt Carrie and my mother always made it, and that's what I do too. You can add salt and pepper to taste at this time also, and if you choose, a little bit of hot sause. That is the way my family likes it, but do what is best for yours. While this is cooking on medium burner, boil some water for the ditalini. I usually use ½ a box, but if you think you would like more pasta for your soup, use the whole box. Cook according to directions on the box. Let soup cook for about ½ an hour, if you have the time, if you don't 15 minutes will be fine also. This soup is very easy and comes out great no matter how long it does cook, it is very forgiving. When you are ready to eat, just put some of the pasta in the bowl, add the liquid, and sprinkle with grated cheese. If you are making it to serve right away, then you can put the ditalini in the soup, but if you are going to serve later in the day, don't add the pasta to the soup as it will "drink" up all of the juice. Now ENJOY, and I hope your family will love it as much as mine does!

Yumm-Oh A dish of pasta e fagioli, a glass of my brother in laws home made wine, a few pieces of Italian bread...what a lunch that is.

ไม่มีความคิดเห็น:

แสดงความคิดเห็น